Sunday, March 18, 2012

"oh yeaaaah!"



Today I was just sitting, grading my students' most recent assignment: how-to papers. Working with these students has been such a unique experience. They all have such different personalities, yet they are all such a joy to be around. Yes, they do test my patience, but I've found that it is hard to stay frustrated with any of them.


This past week I guess they had started to feel comfortable around me, because they started to point out things about my teaching style or personality that I do... "ALL THE TIME." One thing in particular that they like to laugh about is how much I say "oh yeaaa!" (Especially when they get a math problem correct). Anyway, I was reading one of the how-to papers written by one of our ESL students about how to play cricket (which is very popular in his home country). I was almost at the end of the paper and was starting to feel frustrated with the multiple grammar and mechanical writing mistakes. Then I read the next sentence where he described the feeling in cricket when you hit the ball, the "fieldsman" doesn't catch the ball and your teammates celebrate, "oh yesss!" (this was his version of my favorite celebration)


Times like this help me see how "a cheerful heart is good medicine..." (Prov. 17:22)



1 comment:

  1. Oh yeaaaaah! -Love it! Way to focus on the positives :) Keep up the good work Miss Swanson!

    ReplyDelete